Well, it finally happened: I got tagged for one of these. I may be late to the party but, yes, I am vain enough to write 25 things about me and it just might be the thing to kick-start this blog back into life so here goes ...
1. I met my wife on the internet back in 1994 before this was a popular thing to do.
2. I hate to be thought of as a computer geek, though people who know me insist I am; I like to think of myself as more rounded intellectually than that.
3. The first record I ever bought for myself was a Procol Harum compilation called "A Salty Dog" on EMI's "Music for Pleasure" label. I bought it in Woolworths and it cost 75p (this was in January 1973). I remain a fan to this day.
4. Organizing, arranging, listing, collecting, documenting things gives me great satisfaction.
5. I do not drive a car and in fact never learned to drive, though I did have a few lessons back in the late 80s.
6. I love to cook and think I'm pretty good at it.
7. I have a friend who I've known continuously for 45 years: 90% of my lifetime.
8. The iPod Touch is, to me, the nearest thing I know to the perfect gadget.
9. Hearing music I dislike is actively painful to me.
10. "Pedant" would be my middle name if I was named for my personal characteristics but in fact it's "Leonard" after my late father.
11. If I see words, anywhere, I just *have* to read them.
12. I'm hugely reluctant to operate outside my "comfort zone".
13. I enjoy playing games, more to master game mechanics than necessarily to win.
14. A book is, to me, a precious object to be treated with respect.
15. I love riding my bicycle.
16. I was an Apple Lisa beta-tester (the Lisa was a forerunner of the Mac).
17. I often feel personally affronted by generalisations and hate being labelled (see '2' above).
18. I enjoy wine but drink more than I should.
19. I wish I had learned to play a musical instrument.
20. When I was young, I dreamed of living and working in Cambridge. Now I do.
21. I always imagined I would hate camping but found I actually adore it.
22. I get grumpy when I'm hungry.
23. I'm a sucker for quizzes, surveys and anything that asks my opinion.
24. As soon as I've sent this I'll think of something crucial I've left out.
25. Life is good.
2 days ago