Saturday, February 21, 2009

25 Things

Well, it finally happened: I got tagged for one of these. I may be late to the party but, yes, I am vain enough to write 25 things about me and it just might be the thing to kick-start this blog back into life so here goes ...

1. I met my wife on the internet back in 1994 before this was a popular thing to do.

2. I hate to be thought of as a computer geek, though people who know me insist I am; I like to think of myself as more rounded intellectually than that.

3. The first record I ever bought for myself was a Procol Harum compilation called "A Salty Dog" on EMI's "Music for Pleasure" label. I bought it in Woolworths and it cost 75p (this was in January 1973). I remain a fan to this day.

4. Organizing, arranging, listing, collecting, documenting things gives me great satisfaction.

5. I do not drive a car and in fact never learned to drive, though I did have a few lessons back in the late 80s.

6. I love to cook and think I'm pretty good at it.

7. I have a friend who I've known continuously for 45 years: 90% of my lifetime.

8. The iPod Touch is, to me, the nearest thing I know to the perfect gadget.

9. Hearing music I dislike is actively painful to me.

10. "Pedant" would be my middle name if I was named for my personal characteristics but in fact it's "Leonard" after my late father.

11. If I see words, anywhere, I just *have* to read them.

12. I'm hugely reluctant to operate outside my "comfort zone".

13. I enjoy playing games, more to master game mechanics than necessarily to win.

14. A book is, to me, a precious object to be treated with respect.

15. I love riding my bicycle.

16. I was an Apple Lisa beta-tester (the Lisa was a forerunner of the Mac).

17. I often feel personally affronted by generalisations and hate being labelled (see '2' above).

18. I enjoy wine but drink more than I should.

19. I wish I had learned to play a musical instrument.

20. When I was young, I dreamed of living and working in Cambridge. Now I do.

21. I always imagined I would hate camping but found I actually adore it.

22. I get grumpy when I'm hungry.

23. I'm a sucker for quizzes, surveys and anything that asks my opinion.

24. As soon as I've sent this I'll think of something crucial I've left out.

25. Life is good.

No comments: